Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Remnants of Ike

There was a man in the grocery store today with two carts and a long list taped to the handle of the first cart. He said he was from Houston and buying for some of his friends. They got electricity back sometime yesterday and he was going to head home.

The impact of this encounter didn't hit me until after I had been safely back in my own home for a while. I cannot fathom the reality of what they will face when they return to Houston. No grocery stores doing business. Having to do their shopping in other cities. No gas for their vehicles. The condition of their homes still in question. No telling when the every day business of living will return to normal.

Austin has been hosting evacuees in various places and the roads have been congested (more than usual). This brief encounter with a harsh reality has humbled me and I will not complain about the traffic or long lines for a long time to come.

No comments: