Sunday, January 30, 2011

Distress Ink Pad Storage

This is my Tim's Tags setup - box is from Target. Labeled the Distress inks with a Dymo and they are up-side-down - but labels are on two sides and face both ways!

And um... no, my tags are NOT done.....
Neither is my December Daily Album!
There, I said it. I admit it. I am.....
behind - again.

WHERE is that Time Warp???

Lady Eleanor Stole progress

I wanted to finish my Lady Eleanor Stole this weekend but the weather seems to have other ideas. The air conditioner came on a couple of hours ago and it's HOT.

Knitting on LadyE is out of the question as large as she is now. The photo is from days ago - she hangs way over the back of the chair now! So close... yet so far. Silly weather. Isn't this supposed to be January?!? It's almost 80 degrees!

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Phase One - Decorating the Paper Tape Box

Just a quick update: Phase One of the Decorating of the paper tape box!
     I've used Tim Holtz papers, Distress ink (Vintage Photo, my fav) and of course - paper tape on the edges!
Now comes the fun part of gathering embellishments!

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Paper Tape Dispenser

I saw this brilliant idea on this blog: and knew I had to make one!
I looked all over the studio and house, but no cigar box that was tall enough for the project soooo- out came the foam core board and packing tape! I was in a hurry to make the box and see if it would work so I didn't stop to cover the foam core with prettyness. I figured that could come later. Lately, I just seem to make the "bones" of a project. I know the embellishing will be fun later on!
I cut the foam core 12 inches x 3 inches for the bottom, front and back. The sides are 3 x 3, with holes for the dowel rod. I put it together with packing tape (which is clear, but will be covered by paper later). The lid is a half inch larger around 3 sides, the back of the lid sits flush with the back of the box so it will hinge upward when taped on. I plan to use Tim Holtz's die (in my new Vagabond!) and grungeboard for hinges at the decorating stage!

I had a bit of sponge roll (used to insulate pipes and faucets outdoors in winter - but that is not why I have some) and I used that to put inside each roll to fit onto the dowel rod that goes across the whole box. This stuff comes with a slit so it will fit over faucets, etc... and so all I had to do was cut it down so it would fit.
I also happened to have a replacement hacksaw blade in my tool drawer! I knew getting a 2-pack was a good idea! I put it on with long brads.

I used nuts and washers to space out the tape rolls so that each one could roll independent of the others. I just slid them on the dowel rod - making sure to balance both ends. If the dowel starts to slide, I can devise a way to "block" it from the outside. I don't think it's going to be a problem at this point. I will be able to slide the rod to add tape rolls.
 I am storing the package labels from the tapes inside the box (need to remember the names of the sets!) Another benefit to the larger lid is it's easy to open!

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Welted Fingerless Gloves

Finished these in 2 days! I love the cuff. I will make them again with a few modifications. I used the Churchmouse pattern (found on Ravelry) and a very soft yarn - Sublime Yarns Baby Cashmere Merino Silk DK with a #5 circular needle. It took less than 1 ball of yarn - it was MOST of a ball - leftover from a lace shrug.
I was going to say a bunch of other stuff in this post - but the internet has been giving me fits for several days and I forget! And we just got a letter they are raising the rates for internet. HAH! If only we could live without it.....NOT.

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

New Approach - Design Boards

I decided to do something very different to promote my classes for the new year - design boards! It did draw a lot of interest in the shop so I guess it did what I wanted it to. I will do this again!
I used some Tim Holtz products as well as actual weaving and cards. It took quite a while to find the black photo corners! I knew they were in here SOMEwhere.
I used plastic packaging to make a re-usable banner area. I just have to open the little door and change the text page. Easy!
When it's not in the shop - it can hang on the wall or sit on a shelf as artwork! Fun.