Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Good-Bye Dear Friend

K. C. - our 17+ year-old furball - died October 17. He was the best kitty ever. So loving, so smart. I am pretty torn up about it as you can imagine. This is hard for me write but I feel like I need to get it down in print.

He had degenerative kidney disease and it was irreversible. Nothing could be done. We knew K.C. was heading down the home stretch but I had hoped not yet.

We were on vacation and our son was looking after him. We cut our trip short and hurried home after our son called - leaving *2* messages (no cel towers where we were) - wondering when we were going to be home. He never calls. I knew something was up. I had told him NOT to tell me bad news over the phone.

I called him as soon as I could. He had taken K.C. to the vet that morning. I called the vet and after she confirmed it looked bad I made arrangements for our son to pick K.C. up and take him home - we'd be there before 10pm.

I feel like K.C. waited for me. No, I know he did. When we got home, he purred his last purr for me and all he wanted was for me to hold him. Which I did - all night and as long the next day as I could. He left us at 2:15pm. Hardest thing I think I've ever done. But it's what he wanted - to die peacefully at home being held by his best friend.

Goodbye, Dear One - may you live in our hearts forever....

No comments: