Monday, January 14, 2008

New Year, New Projects

Socks in progress: Broad Spiral Rib (ala B. Walker) - both socks turned heels and working up the legs. I enjoy working both socks at the same time, each on it's own needle (magic loop). The yarn is Dream in Color - Smooshy, "Gothic Rose" which is a dark red. It's yummy and Smooshy is sooooo soft! A real pleasure to knit.
I made some row counters last weekend while my DH was in Houston at a Marathon. These are 8-row counters. To use, you just put the needles into the appropriate ring at the start of each row. The jump rings are 2 different sizes (as are the beads - size 8 and 'E' beads). This way, if there is a plain row between pattern rows, you can use the 'empty' ring to mark this row.

I also re-organized my beads while hunting for some for the project and put away beads I was finished with. I also am in the process of cleaning out my studio closet - which was all messed up from the holidays. My studio is slowly returning to 'normal' as I clean it up and de-clutter at the same time. The Goodwill box is full and I have to start another one!

This is my very first, officially framed, watercolor painting! I gifted it for Christmas. My Uncle loves his little backyard workshop and I happened to get it in photos I was taking of my grand-girls in April 2006. I Photoshopped the girls out of 2 photos and combined them to get what I wanted. Also took a little imagination for some parts!

There are some license plates hanging on the porch and I think these are from his old vehicles. I used watercolor, color pencil and pen & ink techniques. I had so much fun and learned tons. It took about a month to do with all the holiday preparations. There were some parts I had to re-draw into a watercolor pad and experiment with techniques and colors. I was very worried about the "pink" pavers but I think I did ok. It took many, many layers of color to get them right! Oh, the size is about 8" x 10". I want to do some more paintings but am conflicted because I also want to knit!

I have 4 sweaters in progress: 2 are "Padova" from Louisa Harding in her book "Venizia II" 2007, one for me, one for Mom. Mine is made from LH LaSaluteQuatro shade 03 (red mix). Mom's is Alpaca from Blue Sky in a yummy dark amethyst. So soft and pretty! the La Salute Q is fuzzy - it's mohair and it doesn't shed much! I have 1 sleeve complete so far. Lots to do yet but Hey, I do have yarn for the winter! Let it ice up all it wants!

1 comment:

Suna Kendall said...

The painting is lovely. My fiance noticed it on the screen and also had nice comments.