Friday, March 7, 2008

Knitting Class

I've been taking a knitting class at HCW (my local LYS) - Top Down Knitting. We are learning how to design and make our own raglan top-down cardigan/pullover sweater/top. Everybody is making a cardigan to start with. This class is so much FUN! Not only are the classmates kewl and the teacher wonderful but the companionship of sitting, visiting and knitting with others is way fun! I am learning and passing on tips, too. Everybody has their own way of doing things and sometimes you just want to clunk yourself in the head (ala the V8 commercials) that you didn't think of "that".
Here's my progress after class one:
Here's my sweater a little later:

The yarn is Mille Colori by Lang, color 586. It's 50% wool, 50% acrylic and it's a singles. (For those who don't know or spin, it means a single twist and not plied). I am using size 10 (6mm) Addi Turbo circular needles. With the Mille Colori I get 4 spi for the gauge.

I am now past the armholes and working the body. This is so neat - almost no finishing (as in sewing seams). When you're done knitting, you're done!
I am going to make another one from this yarn:
It's Kochoran from Noro, color 46. And this is what my swatches look like:
The top one is too tight (size 10) and the bottom just right with size 11. It's looser and softer which is what I'm going for.

I've signed up for another class next month with the same instructor - Fair Isle Socks!

No comments: